Bacon Cheese Zucchini
The savory flavor of the bacon adds to this hearty and delicious dish.
- 6 cups thinly sliced unpeeled zucchini
- 4 to 6 slices Field Bacon, crisply cooked, drained and crumbled
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 stiffly beaten egg whites
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Simmer squash in salted water until tender; drain and sprinkle with a little salt. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In mixing bowl, combine egg yolks, sour cream and flour. Mix in egg whites.
- Place half of the cooked squash in a shallow baking dish; top with half of the egg mixture, half of the shredded cheese and all of the crumbled bacon.
- Repeat with remaining squash and egg mixture, as well as cheese. Melt butter; mix with breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over casserole evenly.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions
8 - 10