- 2 lbs. Field Pro-Leaguer Wieners, sliced ~1/2 inch thick
- Vegetable Oil
- 2 large onions, thinly diced
- 1 small head green cabbage, cored & thinly shredded
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. caraway seed
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 8 c. beef stock
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 2 c. cooked pinto beans
- 2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- salt & pepper
- Cook the hot dog slices over medium-high heat until browned and some fat has rendered.
- Remove the hot dogs from the pot with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add enough oil to equal ~3 TBsp. of fat in the pot. Sauté onions and cabbage until the onions are browned, and the cabbage is very soft.
- Add the vinegar and sugar and stir the mixture until the vinegar has completely evaporated. Follow by adding the caraway seeds and tomato paste, cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add stock. Bring to a boil, then add the cubed potatoes. Reduce the heat to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and hot dogs, cooking the soup for another 5 minutes.
- Ladle about 1/2 c. soup into a small mixing bowl. Be careful! It may be hot. Stir the mustard into the bowl until combined and smooth.
- Pour the mustard mixture back into the soup pot and heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8 - 10