Inside-Out Grilled Ham and Cheese
Adding a sprinkle of cheese to the outside of these sandwiches creates a super-crisp, cheesy crust.
- 2 slices of Field Sliced Ham
- 4 slices, your choice of bread
- 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar
- A few pieces of leaf lettuce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Place bread slices in skillet on top of melted butter.
- On one slice of bread, spread about 1/4 cup of cheese, the slices of ham and lettuce. Place the other slice of bread, butter side up, on top. Sprinkled about 2 tablespoons of the remaining cheese on top of the sandwich.
- Melt remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter in the skillet next to the sandwich. Flip the sandwich onto the melted butter so that the cheese side of the bread is facing down. Spread remaining cheese on top of the sandwich. Cook sandwich until cheese on the bottom is crispy and caramelized, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip sandwich and cook until cheese is crispy and caramelized on other side, about 3 to 4 minutes more.