A New England favorite.
- 3 slices Field Bacon
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (approximately 7 ounces each) minced clams
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- Cook bacon until crisp in a large pot. Remove bacon to paper towels and chop into pieces.
- Add onion to bacon drippings; saute until softened. Add potatoes, clam juice, and salt.
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat. Add minced clams with their liquid.
- Whisk flour into milk; add to chowder with half-and-half.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until clam chowder thickens and bubbles, or about 3 minutes.
- Keep on heat while serving.